Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Han wrote:

So the loophole is a little more complicated. The dealer just has to
sell the gun to a bystander who would not fail a background check.
This individual can then just sell the gun to someone who would fail a
background check.

Well, that is certainly true, but in reality most FFL's would not risk their
license and/or the penalties and hassles for even being suspected of such
behavior. Do a quick search on what kind of scrutiny an FFL is subject to
on a routine basis. For sure - there are crooks in everything, but you'll
find that this particular fear is not very real.

I seem to recall a TV report from one of the major
networks, where there were plenty of people willing to sell a gun to
someone who wouldn't pass a background check. I thin those sales
should be officially illegal. Period.

That's kind of vague, and in fact not without some amount of suspicion since
it was a TV report. That said - NY just charged a handful of private
citizens for selling guns in a way the DA did not like, at a gun show.
Don't know what will come of this as it is just now unfolding. It was a
sting operation and no details of the operation have been released yet.
Don't hold me to this but I believe the operation took place over several
months, and something like 10 private sellers are being charged. But - like
I said, no details have been released on the charges or the accompanying
sting operation.

I have a problem with a statement like "plenty of people..." since it is
vague by itself and is only useful in taking a position without any real
supporting information. Makes good emotional fodder but nothing more.

It will pay to watch what comes of this whole thing though. I do agree that
even a private citizen should not be allowed to sell a gun to a person who
should not be able to otherwise legally buy one. Let's see how much of that
is what really took place.

--

-Mike-