nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

I rebuild my own black laser toner cartridges, and I can tell you that if you're planning on buying a colour laser printer with the thought of refilling the toner yourself, you just don't know enough about the job yet to know that what you're wanting to do really isn't feasible.

Here's why:

1. Nowadays almost all laser toner cartridges require that you replace a counting chip on the toner cartridge before it will work properly. And, no one will sell you those chips because they know a rebuilt cartridge won't work without it.

2. A colour laser printer has 4 cartridges that are each identical to one another. The only difference is the colour of the toner in the cartridge. You have black, yellow, cyan and magenta (IIRC). But, once you get the hang of rebuilding one cartridge, you can rebuild all of them with different toners.

3. Any company that tells you to melt a hole in your supply hopper with their special tool is a scam. A laser printer toner cartridge has two halves; a supply hopper and a waste hopper. NOT ALL of the toner you put into the supply hopper ends up getting fused to paper during printing. There's a special wiper in the waste hopper side that scrapes off the unused toner and dumps it into the waste hopper, and that waste hopper gradually fills up with unused toner.
By, melting a hole in the supply hopper and dumping in more toner, you're doing nothing about emptying the unused toner out of the waste hopper, and once that waste hopper fills up, the cartridge won't work properly any more. You'll have waste toner coming out of that cartridge and getting into the machinery of your printer.

Besides, there already is a hole in the supply hopper to add toner.
That's the hole legitimate cartridge rebuilding businesses use to add toner.

If you want to save on your printing costs, your best bet is to buy an old colour laser printer with toner cartridges that don't require a chip, and learn how to refill those kinds of cartridges with new toner. Then, just add toner to it once or twice before exchanging it for a rebuilt cartridge. That way, you save most of the cost of buying rebuilt cartridges without having to learn how to rebuild toner cartridges properly (and trust me on this: It takes some practice to get good at rebuilding toner cartridges). Also, after 3 cycles, the OPC (Organic Photosensitive Coating) drum, wiper blade and PCR (Primary Charge Roller) need to be replaced anyway, and that's gonna cost you $25 at least.

I have an old HP Laserjet 5L and a Cannon 3240 multifunction laser printer, and I'm lucky that neither cartridge requires a chip for rebuilding. Still, those times I have rebuilt the cartridges, they haven't always worked very well, and I attribute that to the fact that I took them completely apart to rebuild them. Now, what I do is just empty the waste hopper, take the cap off the end of the supply hopper and dump new toner into the supply hopper. Once I've refilled the cartridge 2 or 3 times, I bring it in for a rebuilt unit because by that time the OPC drum needs to be replaced anyhow, and it's hard to find anyone that will sell the parts to rebuild laser toner cartridges.

If you want to know the procedure to rebuild toner cartridges, you can find step-by-step instructions for most printers on this web site:

Remanufacturing Guides

Alternatively, pay $35 for a one year on-line subscription to Recharger Magazine and download their remanufacturing instructions from this web site:

http://rechargermag.com/articles/lis...tructions.aspx

Or, just Google "toner cartridge remanufacturing instructions". There are quite a few You Tube videos that explain the procedure, but each different toner cartridge is slightly to a lot different, and there are hundreds of different kinds of toner cartridges.

Rebuilding the 4 toner cartridges in a colour laser printer is only feasible if you have someone you can rely on to sell you the parts. Most rebuilders frown on that, and people are reluctant to do it for fear of perhaps even losing their jobs (if the boss has it in for them anyway).

Last edited by nestork : December 25th 12 at 11:02 PM