Posted to uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:17:48 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and bang goes Windows, and all the resale value.

This is rubbish.

You can reinstall Windows from any suitable source, possibly even an
illegal copy, and then run ...
KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe
.... to enter the correct key from the label on the PC.

As an example, this PC is an old Dell Latitude 610 laptop, onto which
I sysprep-ed my standard Windows 2000 build, the same build as I use
on my desktops, which I then upgraded using an OEM XP SP3 installation
disk which won't of itself pass as Genuine Windows*, yet it is now,
using the above tool, authenticated as genuine XP using the original
authentication code from the label on the bottom of the machine, and
is fully updated, etc.

So I've got to use my original 2k build, with all the software
painstakingly installed just how I wanted it, etc, as XP. This means
that I've been able to install the drivers and software for my new
mobile phone, and one or two more modern pieces of software, but
without having to create a completely new build for XP. It may not
seem much, but, AFAIAC, it's something of a coup!

* It was acquired via eBay in the expectation of it being usable in
its own right from a sh*t who left eBay the moment he'd sold it - it
turned out that, being OEM, it could be only be used by the OEM firm
on the original OEM software, and could not be sold on for use on
different hardware, and anyway Microshaft will not now authenticate
any new versions of XP, even those in sealed packaging for which the
key was never used.

It may be possible to authenticate on a *different* PC *retail*
versions of XP acquired second-hand, I'm not sure, but certainly *OEM*
versions will only authenticate on the *same hardware* as originally
authenticated upon.

Not on any of *my* disks.

A linux, or perhaps a Mac, user, presumably.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my new Dell Inspiron R SE,
which came with W8, but is now running W7. Now that I've got this one
running XP, do I really need it? Perhaps not, and I hate the more
recent versions of Windows so much that I only use the Inspiron for
media playback. I might sell it on, but that would mean having to
reinstall W8, or I might try to put Linux on it.