Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default An opinion on gun control

People shouldn't kill other people in bunches so if they do so THEY
must be mentally ill. It makes it much easier for us to then absolve
them and ourselves of blame.
I see most people erect a Somebody Else's Problem Field around the
issue of mental health in this context.
An SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't
let us see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem.... The
brain just edits it out, it's like a blind spot. If you look at it
directly you won't see it unless you know precisely what it is. Your
only hope is to catch it by surprise out of the corner of your eye.
The technology involved in making something properly invisible is so
mind-bogglingly complex that 999,999,999 times out of a billion it's
simpler just to take the thing away and do without it....... The
"Somebody Else's Problem field" is much simpler, more effective, and
"can be run for over a hundred years on a single torch battery."
This is because it relies on people's natural predisposition not to see
anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain.
--- Douglas Adams
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe