Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker line characteristics

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

This question was posed on another group but wasn't really answered.
There is a PA installation with several zones . One zone is a bell
tower which has a separate speaker in it. The speaker is inaccessible.
The DC resistance of that line is 11 ohms. How can an installer
determine if this is a 70, or 25 volt speaker and which tap it may be
set at? Or perhaps it's just an 8 ohm speaker with 3 ohms of cable
resistance added? Is there n easy way to do this without an impedance
bridge? Thanks, Lenny

Here is the schematic for an old TOA analog impedance meter. It
should be fairly easy to build one from what's laying around the shop.
the only part I haven't identified is the meter movement, but I'll put
one together and see what's needed. Cheap movements are all over Ebay
in the $5 to $10 range

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=35055