Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

On Dec 18, 8:46*pm, robgraham wrote:
I've Dell Dimension 5000 which must be in the order of 7 or 8 years
old. *There's no problems with it apart from it being bit slow on
photo processing, which is the only processor intensive activity I do
apart form a bit of SketchUp and that seems OK.

Is it new wine into old bottles to consider a motherboard/processor
upgrade ? *If it's worth doing how do I work out what board type is in
it at the moment and what would I be best to look for ? *I'm quite
happy to go the Ebay path and look for someone else's upgrading cast-
off.

Thanks for any help

Rob

OK guys, lets go back to square one where this enquiry started. If I
go to WOC, say, looking for a box that has a M/B + memory and a PSU in
it, which is all I need in that I have perfectly good DVD drives and a
new H/D already, what ....

1 M/B do I go for ?
2 Do I need a video card ?

I did a trial run on WOC for such and ended up spending over £500,
which doesn't quite match up with the £250 that was being quoted as
typical.

Rob