Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dbonnell@gmail.com is offline

Default Electrical Q: moving microwave outlet above the range

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 6:29:00 PM UTC-3:30, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:41:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What code restriction? How big is the circuit and what is the rating
of the microwave?

210.23(A)((2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total
rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than
luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere
rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization
equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

If this is a 15a circuit you can put a 900w microwave up there and if
it is 20a you can use a 1200w unit.

Most OTR microwaves are 1000W+. It's a 15A circuit that also includes 6 lights and 5 outlets (the outlets don't carry much load, which is why I said no "practical" restriction). I believe the new micro is 1000W.

Wiremold would actually work pretty well, easily "hidden" at the top of the cabinets. Same comment for armored cable, but wouldn't be quite as clean. The microwave isn't a counter-top model, it sits (poorly) in a little cubby built into the cabinets.

And then option #3 presented itself. There is a spare circuit in the panel and by some miracle there is also an easy path to make the run. I disconnected/abandoned the hood cabling via a nearby light, good to go.

As for no spare circuits left in the panel (after this change), I could always abandon the old microwave outlet...but I can't say I fully understand that requirement.