Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HVLP: What Tips to Use for Shellac? Karl, Leon?

wrote:

If it were me, and sometimes it is, I would hit that 2# shellac one
more time and cut it about 20 - 25% depending on the weather. The
hotter, the less I would thin. I prefer a smaller tip and use a 1.2
mm on my gun, but doubtful you would find any difference. I like to
shoot it thin, just thick enough to hang onto a vertical surface. The
finer tip will put out a finer finish.

You hit it on the head with the latter part of your statement above. We
tend to think there is some magical "optimum" something or other - even
though most of the people aren't able to hit that anyway... Screw that. A
much simpler approach is exactly what you state above. Thinner is better.
Thick enough to hang in light, even coats. How thick is that? Well.. mix
some up and try it. Try it at different thicknesses, different spraying
speeds. This stuff cannot be reduced to simple instructions on an internet
forum - at some point, ya just gotta get the gun in your hand and try some
things.

Experience will develop your technique. I advocate spraying the wettest
coat you can get without a sag - all in a thin mixture. Why? Because I
paint a lot more than 98% of the people here, and I know that it will work
for you. Now... Robert is much better than I at telling you why, with a
particular product - he's weird - he really digs into this stuff. He knows
things that people just should not be bothered to know...

I won't repeat my previous posts about how to do this - it's all available
in the archives. Besides - you do better at posting this stuff than I do.

Merry Christmas,

--

-Mike-