Chris

Default Clarify finishing red oak plywood

I decided I would use Mr. Paquay's instructions.

I will do the Sher-wood method and mix it 50/50 with an oil based
stain. Then I will use a Polyurethane (thinned on first application)
and then full strength on the future applications.

Does this sound like a good combination?

(Chris) wrote in message . com...
This is my first ww project ever. I'm building a builtin-desk with
some prefinished honey oak base cabinets. So far I've done pretty
well but the finishing part is confusing me to no end. I read John
Paquay's "Finishing Oak And Other 'Open-Grained' Woods", Bob Flexner's
book on "Understanding Wood Finishing" and many threads in this NG and
they have helped me greatly. Now, I'm kind of overwhelmed. I've got
two ideas so far:

Sand the ply with 220 grit.
Apply Minwax Gel Stain with a slight honey tint.
Sand with 400 grit?
Apply Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane
Sand with 400 grit?
Apply Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane

Second:

Sand with 220 grit and then 320 grit.
Apply 50/50 mix of Sherwin-Williams Sher-Wood Natural Filler\Minwax
Oil-based Wood Finish (per Mr. Paquay's instructions).
Don't sand.
Apply thinned coat of the topcoat as a sealer (not sure what type and
how to thin it).
Don't sand.
Apply full strength topcoat (not sure what)
Sand carefully with 320+
Repeat the full strength topcoats and 320+ sanding.

I do plan on testing these with scrap but some clarification would
really help.

Thanks in advance.

Chris