Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Painters caulk

Steve B wrote:
I need to caulk a good bit of exterior trim prior to painting. What
is the best caulk for this purpose. Wood to wood. How good is the
regular cheapo painters caulk? I want something that is going to
last.

By "regular cheapo painters caulk" I assume you mean acrylic latex caulk?
The stuff that was less than $1.00 a tube not so long ago but which is now
approaching $2.00?

If so, I've used a fair amount both inside and out. For example, I used it
to repair minor (up to 1/16") stucco cracks prior to painting. That was 16
years ago, still fine. I also used polyurethane caulk (with backer rod) to
repair a much wider and deeper area, a separation twixt a free standing CB
wall and the house. It was pricy and not easy to use but has done a good
job.

A professional that I hired to work on a house my wife inherited swears by a
caulk he refers to as "silicon". It isn't, cleans with paint thinner; it is
pricy, comes clear and maybe colors, can't tell you the name or btrand, HD
has it. It *is* good.

Back to regular cheapo painters caulk: a lot depends on what you are
caulking; i.e., size of finished bead. Generally, kept painted, it works
just fine. IMO, YMMV.

--

dadiOH