Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

Are they really worth the time re-capping these days?..

Not usually unless they are rare boards. I did some Ideq "cube" boards a
while back since getting replacements that fit the SFF cases is very
difficult.

OK..

Having said that, when you have the whole board with decent CPU and RAM
etc, then it can be worth it for a cheap upgrade on older systems if you
can recap them in 30 mins with a couple of quids worth of parts.

As duff caps are the main source of MB failures, but that factory I
believe has either closed or they have now re instated the missing
ingredient!...

Well that is what I heard as well, but have still been getting cap
failures on boards well after the time the dodgy ones were supposed to
be out of the supply channel.

That is a bit worrying are they duff made caps or just under rated
ones?.

We have some real vintage machines around at some remote locations. They
do very simple jobs just mail us id something plays up, years old are up
for hours and perform as well as they day they were made.

Not one bulging or leaking cap to be seen..

Not had any of the ones using so called "mil spec" metal can caps yet.
(not sure if they really are Mil spec - but they certainly seem better
than the normal radial electrolytics.

Yes indeed...
--
Tony Sayer