Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Attach Wires to NMH Batteries Without Soldering

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I have a 200/260W Weller solder gun and when I gave it some thought,
when someone spot welds a tab onto the battery, it creates a momentary
hot spot on the battery. The Weller gun can't to worse than a spot weld
as long as the time is short and proper preparation is made.

Oh, yes it can. A spot weld takes a fraction of a second, and the heat
appears over a small area.

By golly, I had no trouble at all and the results turned out great!

I hope so. I've seen connections of this sort fail * with the solder blob
simply falling off the battery.

But not if it is done properly in the way that has been carefully detailed,
and by someone who can solder properly in the first place. For a number of
years, I repaired 1st and 2nd generation cordless phones, and used to make
up my own battery packs at the rate of a couple a day. These repairs were
done for a two local phone shops, and for a travelling CB and accessory
salesman who called at many shops around the country, picking up the repairs
one week, and dropping them back the next. The batteries that I was joining
by soldering were of course NiCds back then, but I never had any problems
with exploding ones, or rapid failures, and trust me, if early failures had
been an issue, the shops would soon have been throwing them back at me ...

Arfa

* as do spot welds, of course