Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Philips recalls potentially dangerous GU10 LED lamps

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Lee writes:
On 21/12/2012 13:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In case any of you have used these GU10 8W MasterLED retrofit spotlamps...

http://luxmagazine.co.uk/news/23/phi...lly-dangerous-

gu10-led-lamps

Noticed a few LED spots on the RAPEX website over the last couple of
months - inherent issue with this type of design?

Yes.

These are made by companies which previously made CFLs.
CFLs have no exposed metalic parts, except the lamp cap.
Now they're making LEDs where the most difficult part is
the thermal design, and this generally requires a significant
proportion of exposed aluminium to dissipate the heat.
They don't seem to have the experience required to do this
safely, i.e. keeping the mains potential a safe distance
from the exposed aluminium whilst still having a good thermal
contact between it and the LED junction (often at mains
potential). I was a bit surprised at Philips falling into
this trap though.

Spot on analysis IMV, a serious and surprising failure on Philips' part.
Even if they self certify on safety I would expect the analysis and
testing to have been carried out by a totally separate branch of the
group who would dissect the design very carefully. I've certainly gained
no favours in the past from in-house testers.

Given the compact dimensions perhaps we can assume reinforced rather
than double insulation but that, in itself, should have called for more
stringent analysis and testing. Manufacturing defect?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .