Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default What do you think I can price these home build wood wine racks at?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:25:32 +0000 (UTC), Jeff
wrote:

Taking your suggestions, I built a set of light simple yet incredibly
strong and rugged rectangular & triangular wine racks in my garage out of
hardwood and anodized aluminum that you can stand on and they won't even
bend a bit!

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040...56042152863288

After making all the jigs for the repetitive work, I was just wondering
what these hardwood/aluminum wine racks might sell for on the open market.

I probably only need to sell a few to make back my tooling costs.

I can probably custom build them in any reasonable geometric size
from 2x2 (4 bottles) to about 12x12 (144 bottles), either rectangular or
triangular.

For a typical home, I would guess a counter top wine rack would be the 6
bottle to 12 bottle wine racks configuration. What do you think I can
sell these for if I build a web site to do that?

You're not done with designing yet.

Will they be picked up at your house or shipped? Before you get to
final pricing, look into what you will have to do to ship them via UPS
or whatever. You will need a sturdy carton and you can easily get into
oversized package charges. You will need some protective packaging,
perhaps some corner pads. With variable sizes you will need various
cartons to fit properly. Suddenly, you have quite an investment in
packaging materials. Of course, cartons are cheaper if you buy 2000
instead of only 500. See where I'm headed?

Mike posted some very good information. He mentioned hobby quite
often. My wife had a hobby and turned it into a successful business.
One day though, she found that while the money was good, she was very
busy and no longer had a hobby. It was not fun any more. Proceed
with caution. You may fare better selling a few to friends with a
modest markup to recoup your tooling costs.

I'd probably make a dozen and just give them away. It is more fun
than selling them. I already have a job.