Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default capacitor failure mode etc ?

"Unijunction Transitor
for the SCR was available in 1976"

Oh definitely. I think every Tektronix manual since about 1965 had a tutorial on them. (and I STILL coudn't design a circuit using one they are too wierd lol) Actually UJT triggering was one of the things about good scopes, they would lock up really fast. I had a 2465 for a time and it's sync sucked.. I mean it DID actually sync, but it took too damn long. I was spoiled by older scopes that would lock up faster than the shutdown could shut down the TV. I could cop a collector waveform off the HOT (or LOT for you over there) fast enogh to see it, and then start unconnecting things. It was quite useful.

Years ago there was a time when if I didn't have a shutdown problem figured out in about five minutes, scrapping the set was considered. I had my routine and it worked. I'm now working on a new routine of course.

Of couirse it is all useless knowledge now. I feel like a ****ing trainee now.