Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Malcolm[_2_] Ian Malcolm[_2_] is offline

Default Attach Wires to NMH Batteries Without Soldering

"N_Cook" wrote in :

hr(bob) wrote in message
..
. On Dec 20, 6:58 am, wrote:
Hi,
Do you know a technique to safely attach wires to NMH batteries
("C" cells) without soldering the wires to the battery which may harm
the batteries integrity? Note: I have several new "C" NMH batteries.

I know about battery holders, but there isn't enough space for a
multi-cell battery holder in the project I am working on.

Thank You in advance, John

Do what Mr. Cook suggests, it is what I frequently do.

+++

I must have done it a few dozen times , admittedly NiCads, but no in
service problems emerged over time scale of a few years anyway.

Me too. The worry is: that you might melt some plastic internal seperator
or similar. NiMH batteries can be stored at -20 deg C so you can put the
cells in the freezer beforehand to give yourself a bit more safety margin,
but if you are any good at soldering that really isn't required. Whatever
you do, don't **** about with a low wattage iron or a fine tip. This is a
perfect job for a 100W Weller soldering gun or a catalytic butane gas iron.

I usually roughen up the contact with a fiberglass brush pencil. Its
absolutely essential to break through any Nickel plating that may be there.

This is safe enough for NiCd/NiMH but *NOT* reccomended for LiPO cells as
you risk turning them into an incendary devicee. []

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL