Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] busbus@gmail.com is offline

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:58:49 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
I've been following this thread. I've been waiting for some feedback, to further understand your pieces, condition of the pieces. So for, as best I can tell, you still haven't cleaned the pieces nor performed a finish test, to determine what finish might be on the pieces. Before a procedure for refinishing can be suggested or determined, it is good to know more about what's on the pieces, if possible.

I am just starting to get in gear on this project. I was trying to get some information before I started to do anything. I have more than enough now..

This will be my "winter" project. I will be doing this little by little. I don't have a huge amount of time to spend on this at any one point in time. But I love to do this sort of stuff. This is the largest project of this type that I have attempted and, since it is out in the open with no chance of being hidden, I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. But, like you said, start with a chair. See how it turns out. If I mess it up too bad, then I can always go get the whole thing refinished professionally. That is sort of what I am thinking: nothing really to lose, unless I REALLY screw up.

Do the cleaning and testing and tell us what you've discovered.

I am going clean things first. Then see if I can determine the finish. I believe what somebody else here said: this is probably mass produced furniture, so they probably used lacquer and it isn't worth oodles of money.

Your description of the chairs, to date, to me, suggests the finish is a toned lacquer, typical of factory applications. Your description of the wear patterns lends to this conclusion.

Yes, I agree

There may be a stain under the (toned?) topcoat. If the chairs are made of
maple, a conditioner may have been applied prior to the staining and/or
topcoating.

From what Mike and others are saying, I agree with this, too.

Some manufacturers (Hendron, Broyhill, etc.) still have the toned topcoat blends available and you can get color-matched quantities for
refinishing/touchups. On the Refinishing Wizard link dpb gave - (link
directly to the forum - http://www.refinishwizard.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1),
I think (I'm not sure) Bob (Boardman) may have more info about these companies
and the finishes. Also, your local good furniture outlet, often times, has access to the furniture manufacturers, to know how/where to obtain the finishes for
repairs/touchups, and the like, for pieces that get damaged in shipment. Your
local furniture outlets consult with their local refinishers and upholsterers,
for repairing damaged furniture, and these repairs and touchups are done
frequently. I do such repairs and touchups, this way, every now and then..

Thanks! More good advice.

The chairs:

Whatever repairing/refinishing you decide to do, tackle one chair to see what you'll be up against, for doing the others. If the one chair comes out ok, then proceed with the others. If it doesn't come out well, then you can always have someone/a pro do the job, anyway. It wouldn't matter if he corrects the original "mess" or your "mess". You'll be charged the same fee. Won't hurt, at all, for you to give it a try.

Yep.

Once you 1) clean the chair, 2) repair whatever needs repairing. 3) Test for the finish on it. If it is indeed lacquer, then the remaining fix is much easier. If the finish is lacquer, then 4) wipe it down with lacquer thinner. Now you're ready for either 5) a lacquer base stain (like a TransTint dye stain using lacquer thinner as the solvent) or 6) a toned lacquer application (TransTint dye does well for this toning. Do some tests to get the color match. Otherwise, see if you can get some toned finish from the company that made the chairs).

If the chairs don't have a lacquer finish on them, then one of, or a combination of, the procedures, suggested earlier/above, would likely be a better approach.... Do the testing for the present finish that's on the chairs, before deciding what procedure to proceed with.

The table & Buffet:

...Doesn't sound like a too difficult of repair job. It would be nice to see several good pics of the table, though, before making/committing to a repair/refinish schedule. Same with the buffet piece. I would like to better confirm, if possible, whether the pieces' tops are "solid wood" or veneered.

For further research, you may want to search the http://www.refinishwizard.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1 site. There have been similar threads (some with pics), there, and we have discussed these very issues many times.

Sonny

Wow, seriously: Thanks a lot. I need to print all of this off and keep it with me whenever I start this project!