Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default HVLP: What Tips to Use for Shellac? Karl, Leon?

I got the HVLP sprayer from HF, same one as Rockler.
I used it to spray some Zinsser BIN and it came out pretty good.
However, I sort of just guessed at what tip to use and I don't know if
it was the best choice.

So, to you guys who HVLP a lot... before I google myself to death, what
tips are for what?
The Rockler manual says .9mm for latex and 1.8mm for oils.

The HF version says it comes with 1.0mm, 1.5 and 1.8, and there are
three different tips holes increasing in size.
I assume you use the corresponding hole sized tip for different needles.

The BIN instructions only talk about an airless sprayer.

The guy at Zinsser said they recommend .05"-.07" (1.3-1.8mm) for HVLP
for all their "paints." He knew I was asking about BIN, so I'm assuming
that's also for the BIN. Is that correct. BIN is pretty darn thin.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--