Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Box "o" speaker line matching transformers

I have a job to run about 35 speakers including cameras and security
through a building. The building is a sprawling 200 year old Behemoth
of a place that I don't want to try to fish wire through. The building
was part of a now defunct college and as luck would have it almost
every room is home run wired back to a closet with at least 4 CAT5
wires. This closet seems like a good place to install our equipment
and so we plan to run the alarm system as well as the cameras off
these CAT 5's. In addition there will be a background music system.
The music will be very soft and so I would like to go with 70V lines
with speakers tapped at .25 to .50 W each. The runs would be no more
than say 100 to 125 feet and so I don't think that the 24 gauge wire
should be a problem with each CAT5 cable handling one or even two
speakers apiece. So anyhow that's the job and I'd appreciate any
comments on that but my other question is this: I have boxes of
unidentified line to voice transformers. I don't know if they're 70 or
25 volt units. Is there an easy way to determine this? I don't have an
impedance bridge. Thanks, Lenny