Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Hiring an RCD tester

Caecilius wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:12:04 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

In another post it was mentioned that you could get an all RCBO CU
from Denmans for £100 (Mr Roberts was not specific on how many
RCBOs he got but I suspect that it is 8). Your best solution is to
do what Mr Roberts did and install a full RCBO CU. All RCBO
installations are the new Peter Kaye Garlic Bread.

Yes, I think I probably need to bite the bullet and replace the CU
with one that can take RCBOs.

That's a bit beyone my DIY skills though, so I'll need to get someone
in to do it. Do you have any idea of the labour charge for a CU
replacement like this? I'm in medway towns, kent if it makes any
difference.

The offer still stands if you want me to send you a RCD (if I can
find one)

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll go down the RCBO route as you
suggested.

Get a couple of quotes and I'll beat them if you like.

I was going to be down your way between Xmas and New Year but I ended up
with a rewire in Edinburgh instead. Depending on your timescale I could do
it in January when I finish off a job in Lambeth (hopefully finish - she
keeps changing her mind). And in Feb/March I should be starting a first fix
of 6 apartments in Deptford so I could do it then (they were supposed to
start in August). It will have to be a Saturday or Sunday depending on when
I leave London.

You have to be aware that installing RCDs onto circuits that currently have
no RCD could cause problems. However your installation is of the age where
that is unlikely to be a problem.

Of course I would actually use the job as an excuse to meet up with TMH
again for a massive breakfast in a cafe.

--
Adam