Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Painting exterior stucco - UPDATE - not working out well

Existential Angst wrote:
"Robert Macy" wrote in message
A while ago I posted a question as to what type of paint to use to
paint over relatively new, once painted, exterior stucco and then
went on to ask what was going wrong with trying to paint these walls.

The HD Behr's stucco paint was recommended, and HD being convenient
and reasonable quality went for it.

Then, in trying to paint the stucco, I ran into a series of
'patterns' being left on the walls seemingly caused by painting a
section and moving along the wall with a noticeable overlap - very
visible because of the form of the pattern. HD paint dept had no
idea what was happening. But close examination, pattern looked like
a 'thicker', therefore smoother, area at each painting overlap.

The first patterns I generated were vertical, caused by starting at
the roof and going straight down, move over, repeat. This left a
series of vertical patterns VERY noticeable. Then changed to going
from right to left as fast as possible, with the whole wall done in
three passes, leaving two patterns of horizontal lines, with slightly
noticeable vertical ones, as I moved along each section - these
patterns are the least obtrusive, but still noticeable. This end
result made me Feel like a rank amateur here.

This is a single floor building, I have now used completely three 5
gal tubs and am less than 1/3 done with the house. I estimate
something like 60 to 80 sq ft per gal of coverage.

In an attempt to prevent patterns:

I followed HD's employee suggestion of making certain surfaces were
dry [they were], tried multiple coats to no avail = patterns still
come through, but now more of them.

I added the amount of Floetrol recommended [and then more] to remove
'brush strokes' but that had little effect except to add cost and
'fussing' time. Adding more Floetrol still didn't help.

I tried scrubbing the surface mechanically abrading any potentially
drying 'powder' left from the previous paint [Dunn-Edwards versaflat
base, probably thinned for spray painting beyond belief] that effort
didn't help.

I tried wetting the surface, dampening it before painting. That
didn't help.

So that's the update! Paint doesn't go very far and there are still
patterns being left!

Next, I'm going to try 'wetting' at the overlap with Easy Off Window
Cleaner and see if that helps. If not, simply pre-thinning with the
product. Something HAS to work!

The next battle is interior painting using Dunn-Edwards Versaflat
base, that has been leaving brush strokes like ribbed paint! I need
to paint a wall a day and can't stand the cleanup [or multiple cost]
of using a bunch of rollers either.

My impression is is that the paint just dries too fast, need a way to
slow that down and increase the surface tension so the paint will
have time, and the where-with-all, to flatten.

Any suggestions?

See my 12/17 thread on PaintZoom.... you can try this product, or
the HF product.
In my newbie experience, for sumpn like stucco (or T1-11 wood, etc),
spraying will do a MUCH better job, in 1/10th the time, at half the
cost. Likely a MUCH longer lasting finish as well, as each coat is
thinner, deeper-penetrating.

You haven't done a lot of painting, have you

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net