Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

dadiOH wrote:

That won't happen. Not, at least to any significant degree. The
only time when it might work well would be if the color were within
the finish - a "toner" - or slopped on the wood, not soaked into the
wood like a stain. Yes, if you get down to bare, colored wood and
then rub it with an appropriate solvent, you may pick up some color
but I can't imagine it ever being enough to even out worn areas.

Au Contraire, mon ami. I have done this myself, and that's why I
recommended it to the OP. As you say, it is not going to result in a
complete color fill, but I also indicated that in my reply earlier. For
not-so-bad areas, it can result in enough diffusion of the worn through
areas to significantly lessen the effect of the wear. By virtue of the
wear, his surface has already exhibited that it is down to the bare wood you
mention above. As I had also mentioned, I have used stains to further blend
the color differences, using the same process.

--

-Mike-