Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

wrote:
So what I said was right but you are saying to try denatured alcohol
instead of paint thinner, right? I have both at home. I think much
of the problem--at least the sticky stuff--is that "Pledge" that was
used forever on it. I think I need to get that crap the heck off to
see what is underneath before I do anything else.

Use naptha (lighter fluid) or paint thinner.

You are also saying that I may be able to "spread out" the dye/stain
that was used way back then and make the chair backs look presentable
enough.

That won't happen. Not, at least to any significant degree. The only time
when it might work well would be if the color were within the finish - a
"toner" - or slopped on the wood, not soaked into the wood like a stain.
Yes, if you get down to bare, colored wood and then rub it with an
appropriate solvent, you may pick up some color but I can't imagine it ever
being enough to even out worn areas.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net