Posted to alt.home.repair

Default In line water shut off valve

On Dec 18, 5:27*pm, Jim wrote:
On 12/17/2012 05:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is it a gate valve, ball valve, globe valve, angle valve, or.....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.

"Jim" wrote in message
Can these valves be repaired rather than only replaced. *In line
shut off valve in basement does not fully stop water to outside
spigot. *The valve is not leaking indoors. *Valve has been cycled
several times and the packing nut snugged tight.

FWIW this is a 50+ year old installed valve.

And how do I determine that?- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like you're going to replace the valve. In which
case, it doesn't matter what kind it is. The issue is what
you want to use to replace it. For an outside water
shutoff I'd use a ball valve with drain. Drain for anywhere
freezing is an issue, unless the outside spigot is a
frost proof sillcock. Another choice is to get rid of the
valve and go with a frost proof sillcock, in which case
you don't need to shut it off for winter. The advantage to a
shutoff inside plus the outside valve, even if it's frost
proof, is that you can turn the water off inside so
no one can turn it on outside when the house is
unoccupied, etc. But you could also turn off the water
to the whole house if you're away for an extended period.
that's what I do.