Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Tracking down source of gas odor...

On 12/18/2012 12:42 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/17/2012 3:39 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

Small NG heater in the well house. When operating, on occasion get an
odor of gas but have had no success at all in finding source of any
leak.

I wouldn't trust my nose on that one. I'll bet the well house is
too small for there to be enough O2 for the heater.

Looked up Code reqm'ts for 100% combustion air internal--for a normally
tight dwelling it says 50 cu-ft/1000 Btu; now I'm left wondering what is
the capacity of this little heater? Got any ideas on how to guesstimate
what that might be? It's a single row of burners roughly a foot long I'm
guessing; I'll have to go take more exact measurements. AFAICT there's
no ratings on it that are legible any longer, anyways...

Well, I didn't look in right place while laying on my belly on the floor
of the pump house... -- the getting up from which isn't as easy as it
used to be, either.

Anyway, the dimensions are bigger than I think--it's 8x14.5x7.5 interior
which is just under 900 cu-ft and the input is 16000 Btu/hr. That's
just a little above the 800 cu-ft for inside air ratio by the Code table
I found so guess that it's a little smelly might not be surprising.

The tiny crack on the window didn't really seem to make much difference
overnight last night but it was almost dead calm and I did leave it open
only a very small amount so wasn't much air circulation certainly.

I did really look at the flame down the burners just now and they all
appear to be firing fully and not intermittently w/ a nice blue flame so
I still have no real answer other than the air supply. I do need to get
on the roof and be double-sure the rain cap/wind diverter are open --
got to thinking I know about the flue from when pulled it last spring
but I didn't go up top then.

Anyway, there is a CO monitor upstairs, guess I will take it out there
and plug it in the wall and see if it reads anything significant...