Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing surfaces that won't show?

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:52:41 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote:

Well that was my guess when I asked for suggestions in the first place,
but I'm asking now why shellac is a good choice as opposed to something
else.

Because it seals against moisture vapor better than anything else,
although poly comes close. But shellac wipes on with a rag and dries
almost instantly. Pick up a can of Zinsser SealCoat and give it a try.
Read the fine print - it says it's a 2 pound cut of dewaxed shellac. Get
it somewhere with a good turnover - old cans don't dry well if they're
over 2 years old.

carrying a cross.