Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

wrote:
So what I said was right but you are saying to try denatured alcohol
instead of paint thinner, right? I have both at home. I think much
of the problem--at least the sticky stuff--is that "Pledge" that was
used forever on it. I think I need to get that crap the heck off to
see what is underneath before I do anything else.

I'd go with the alcohol first, but only because it's the less strong of the
two. If that doesn't work, I'd give the thinner a try. It's sort of a
one-step-at-a-time/try-it-and-see thing.

You are also saying that I may be able to "spread out" the dye/stain
that was used way back then and make the chair backs look presentable
enough. I understand. As my dad would have said, "A blind man on a
fast horse wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

Yup.

--

-Mike-