View Single Post
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

So what I said was right but you are saying to try denatured alcohol instead of paint thinner, right? I have both at home. I think much of the problem--at least the sticky stuff--is that "Pledge" that was used forever on it.. I think I need to get that crap the heck off to see what is underneath before I do anything else.

You are also saying that I may be able to "spread out" the dye/stain that was used way back then and make the chair backs look presentable enough. I understand. As my dad would have said, "A blind man on a fast horse wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

That is all I am after.

Then, I can use that restore a finish (or whatever it is called) to try to get rid of as many of the scratches as possible that are on the furniture as a whole.

Finally, I could use paste wax, like somebody suggested, and that should make the set look 100 times better WITHOUT refinishing it altogether.

And I understand what you are saying about unintended consequences. Been there, done that on too many occasions. I will do this bare minimum first, and it will probably be good enough.

Thanks a lot for all the helpful suggestions!!!

ray