Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing a Myson Unit 3 CH pump.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:17:49 +0000, T i m wrote:

As it turned out ... the both 'shut off' but neither did so
'properly'. ;-)

Half a jug in what was it? 10 mins, is nothing...

As it happens the local merchant did me a good deal and the pump was
cheaper than SF. My second big pump pliers (two pairs seem a good
idea) were another 15 and he threw in a small tin of silicone grease.
;-)

Excellent, I suspect you'll be going back to them for plumbing bits in
the future rather than Screefix.

A couple of points might still need attention (in the spring)?

1) It might enjoy a flush and re-fill with new inhibitor.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! What colour was the water that seeped
out? If there isn't a radiator that needs regular bleeding I wouldn't
worry too much. A bit more inhibitor might not hurt.

2) She mentioned that although most of the rads were fitted with
TRV's, 'they didn't work'?

I've never setup such things but assume that ignoring any overall
balancing, each room rad stat valve should do it's own thing and limit
the room upper temperature to something predictable? She also
suggested this was the second lot they had tried?

I think you need to find out what is really meant by "they didn't work".
They system still needs to be properly balanced with all the TRV's fully
open, ie heads off. After that the TRV should keep the room more or less
at the temperature set. But how well that is done depends a bit on the
rest of the system and it's controls.

Anyway, all the best and thanks to you and all for your help. It all
helps give a bit more confidence on things you aren't doing very often
(or in my case, ever before). ;-)

Glad to help and that it all went well. Good felling isn't it? "I did
that".

The pump that failed on me and I had to remove as lump by cutting the
pipes took about a day and half and a drain down. This was in top floor
flat, the drain point was under a loose bit of flooring in the middle of
the hall under the fitted carpet... Access to the pump and pipe work was
cramped by being right up against the HW cylinder.

--
Cheers
Dave.