Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Easiest repair?

On Dec 18, 1:38*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Klaatu wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
DVD player that stopped responding to the front panel buttons.
I pressed the "key lock" button on the r/c and normal service resumed..
This is a player , not recorder , why a key lock function?
Owner is a highly respected silicon foundryman with IBM

VCR that would immediately eject tape after it was loaded, used in childs
room. *Opened the case and found a dried-out, mummified goldfish corpse in
the mechanism. *Upon removal, the VCR worked perfectly.

reminded me of this one
Audio cassette player, very weak and distorted sound

Just opening the flap it was obvious, a lump of marmalade stuck to the head.
Excuseable as the owner was blind. I taught him how to recognise the
rec/play head by touch, via the 2 nibs, and should be smooth. And dug out a
worn head so he could feel the groove worn in the face, for future
reference.

you just reminded me! When once living at an 'upscale' apartment
complex found left for trash [items out of date and items too heavy to
move were often left in the trash areas] I found an Epson color inkjet
printer neatly sitting with its cord wrapped around it. Couldn't pass
up the education of internals so retrieved it. Upon feeding in a page,
every page would tear a streak down the middle and printer would NOT
let a single page through. During the process of cleaning, found a
kernel of popcorn almost completely flat wedged in the intake rollers.
Upon removing the block, the printer has worked very well for a long
time, even had working black and color inkjet cartridges!.