Posted to alt.home.repair
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

Default Anyone use evaporative water for roof cooling?

"mike" wrote

If your inside is 80F and the roof is 160F, that's 80 degrees
differential.
lowering that to 55 differential cuts your heat flow to 69% of what it
was.

To me the water evaporation thing seems wasteful. I had a house where there
was enough space betwen the peaked roof and the ceiling to install a fan
with a thermostat at one end of the attic and a vent on the other end. The
fan came on whenever the temperature in the attic rose above 85. It kept
the indoors to a respectable 72 to 75 whereas before it used to easily rise
to 90+ in the summer.