Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommended repair or magnetron replacement of broken microwave (Jenn-Air M170B)

I've found microwaves tend to have a high voltage diode, and a high voltage
capacitor. Both are known to go bad. I've repaired several microwave ovens,
and it's been these two parts.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Danny D." wrote in message
This Jenn-Air (model M170B) 1,350 Watt microwave just stopped heating:

I called Jenn-Air customer support who said there's no troubleshooting for
when it doesn't heat. They said the magnetron may need to be replaced:
Jenn-Air 800-536-6247 Customer Care

A replacement microwave oven has to fit over the electric oven:

Interestingly, (since it was above the oven) the back sticker says:
"May be built into a cabinet structure, but not for use adjacent
to (with 2 feet of) any gas or electric range, cooktop or oven."

But, that sticker also says:
This microwave is approved for mounting directly over Jenn-Air
wall ovens as follows:
W2700 Series Using MK271 Trim Kit, W3000 Series Using MK301 Trim Kit

Having never worked on a microwave, I ask what the conventional wisdom is.
Q: Is it generally feasible to replace just the magnetron?
Q: Will similarly sized microwave ovens fit (22" widex13"tallx15" deep)?
Q: Is it generally best to stick within the same brand? (e.g., JMC1116AB)?