Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Question about CCW?

On Monday, December 17, 2012 4:40:27 PM UTC-5, Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:52:11 -0500, Joe AutoDrill

wrote:

On 12/17/2012 12:36 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the big deal about ccw? In the recent discussion, there's been considerable talk of what kinds of guns are best concealed under what type of clothing.

I seriously don't get it.

If the objective in carrying a firearm is self-defense, wouldn't it be better to strap a big gun to your hip in plain sight and announce to the world, "Don't **** with me or you will be shot."? And if the objective is not self-defense, what is it?

It has long been my feeling that this is the one thing that cops have over the general public. They may be assholes, but they are assholes with guns on their belts - in plain sight. If you don't cooperate with them, there may be conequences involving loud noises and lead projectiles.

So, what's the deal with wanting to conceal your weapons? What is the advantage?

Forgive the off-topic post... But I believe it has a lot to do with the

way you will be treated by those not wanting to attack you in some places.

For instance, here in NJ a gun on your hip says, "cop" or "DANGER!" and

nothing really in between.

Imagine going to church or to a school to pick up your kids with a Dirty

Harry 45 on your hip VS having a concealed whatever wherever.

the chances of being involved in a mass shooting are less than the

chances of being struck by lightening. More likely, it will be a

robbery, assault, etc. ...and in those cases, you often don't want the

other person to know what you have on you because they will want to

steal it / use it against you.

Correct. Having an exposed firearm simply gives the assailant reason

to shoot you in the back before rifling through your pockets as your

corpse twitches.

Gunner who has had 6 occasions to present his concealed weapon to

assailants in the past 30 yrs, and no shots were fired but the

attackers were thwarted each and every time.

By "present", do you mean you actually drew the weapon and pointed it towards the assailant, or do you mean smomething more along the lines of lifting your shirt or opening your jacket so that they could see that there was a weapon within reach? If the former, why do you think they did not proceed to shoot you while you were drawing your weapon? If the latter, why do you think they did not shoot you before you had a chance to do you harm?

It seems that if the assailant you referred to in the prior paragraph would have been willing to shoot you in the back because you were carrying an unconcealed weapon, he'd be even more motivated to shoot you in the front after you had showed him your previously concealed gun. No?

I know how difficult it is to prove a negative, and that it is equally (or more) difficult to guess what would have happened, but are there any real statistics to back up the premise that one is safer with a concealed weapon than without one? How about with a concealed weapon versus an unconcealed weapon?

I also understand what Joe said about how other people would react to a person wearing a visible gun, but how do those people feel about the possibility that there may be one under your shirt or in your pocket? Living in Northern NJ as I do, this has not really been much of a factor in my life. It's not very likely that the average Joe around here (or in adjacent NY) is carrying a concealed weapon. I certainly have met my share of people who were scary enough without the thought that there might be a gun in their pocket, I doubt they would have been any less scary had I had a gun in mine.

All that said, and I really don't want to pull this even further off topic, I do wish it was legal to buy and own the larger sizes of pepper spray / mace / tear gas in NJ. There are times when I would feel better having some non-lethal home protection device at my disposal.

1. Lie