Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Fastener Control

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:14:37 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have about four 5 gallon buckets of fasteners. Plus half empty boxes.
Plus coffee cans. Plus, plus, plus. I got fasteners coming out of the
woodwork like cockroaches.

I bought six very nice sized plastic drawer organizers at a yard sale over
the weekend for $50. I have seen them for about $30 per. Problem is, they
were FULL of fasteners. Every stinking drawer.

Thought I'd get ahead of the game, but stayed the same.

What do you use for fasteners storage?

I was thinking of making bins out of wood, and all sorts of things. Then, I
thought of various sized mason jars, with the lids screwed to the underside
of a shelf. Easy visibility. Graduated sized jars for small - medium -
large fasteners. Stick on labels.

Any other ideas for how to organize about two million fasteners?

Steve

I bought proper small drawers in wooden and steel cabinets. Plastic
drawers are simply not "good enough" I have somewhere over 150 drawers
filled with fasteners. alone.

Im sure Iggy could find you cabinets to hold your fasteners. Such
things are often simply tossed during factory shutdowns and so forth.

If you look beyond the drill press at the background..you will see one
such wall of drawers I have here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...96324353593314

I also have some 15 or so IBM punch card cabinets...which are a
fileing cabinet type thingy, usually a double drawer stacked 12- 16
draws high and 2 wide

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/wp-c...rd_cabinet.jpg

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ib...g__591x470.jpg

Ball bearing drawer glides, very very strongly built, tough and able
to hold literally a half ton of fasteners. in each cabinet.. Each
drawer has (2) drawers on each level and they can be pulled out..or
removed individually. They can be sectioned off with a bit of plywood
dividers and 4 screws as well.

Look for them. They are still around in dark dusty warehouses and
basements and other similar places. They are quite deep and will hold
a ****load of just about anything. From fasteners to long drill
bits, to welding hardware to bullet molds. Electrical fixtures and
fuses to conduit hardware..

Really really Good ****, Maynard!!!

Gunner

1. Lie