Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap[_8_] Andy Cap[_8_] is offline

Default Replacing a Myson Unit 3 CH pump.

On 17/12/12 20:11, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to help out the old lady we keep an eye on over the road. I
popped over just now and for some reason when straight to the
circulating pump. It's a Myson Unit 3 and if you undo the thumb knob
at the end of the pump spindle, pull it out and try to turn it, it
will turn one way *just* (with my fairly big / strong hands) but
not the other at all. Turn the power on and it still won't spin or
even try to (but you can feel the electromagnetic 'difference').

So, presumably we have a seizing pump and from a quick Google the
Grundfos 15-50 seems to be suggested as a replacement. However, they
aren't as cheap as the alternatives you can get from the sheds so I
wondered if you are just paying for the name?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bugqeu4

Obviously speed is the essence here so something I could pick up
locally and asap would be handy.

As an aside, I've been able to turn the isolation valves (good old
Leatherman PST II) and I've located a drain cock if it comes to it.

If the isolators do turn, might they not still isolate and if so is it
general practice to change them at the same time?

Cheers, T i m

I don't know enough to recommend a make, though personally I'd always
pay a bit more a good make but just thought I'd mention, that I changed
the pump on my system a couple of time before the penny dropped that the
problem was, that the shaft was horizontal ! Since mounting it at 45
degree, the most I could manage, it's run now for quite a few years with
no further failures.

Andy C