Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah[_3_] gonjah[_3_] is offline

Default Recommended repair or magnetron replacement of broken microwave(Jenn-Air M170B)

On 12/17/2012 1:28 PM, John Keiser wrote:
I agree with Mike: use common sense and due caution. I've fixed many
microwaves and never seen a dead magnetron. Diode [cheap] has been the most
common failure. More irksome is a dead control panel. [I have a 30 year old
Toshiba going strong with a sturdy dial timer.] I'd stay away from the
Panasonic "inverter" models as there is no reason [unless you care about
weight savings from not having a heavy transformer] to over-complicate these
simple circuits with an inverter.

Could be. I'm not sure what the inverter does. I've been using mine
daily for over 7 years now. It does have quite a few options.

"gonjah" wrote in message
On 12/17/2012 11:04 AM, Danny D. wrote:
This Jenn-Air (model M170B) 1,350 Watt microwave just stopped heating:

I called Jenn-Air customer support who said there's no troubleshooting
for
when it doesn't heat. They said the magnetron may need to be replaced:
Jenn-Air 800-536-6247 Customer Care

A replacement microwave oven has to fit over the electric oven:

Interestingly, (since it was above the oven) the back sticker says:
"May be built into a cabinet structure, but not for use adjacent
to (with 2 feet of) any gas or electric range, cooktop or oven."

But, that sticker also says:
This microwave is approved for mounting directly over Jenn-Air
wall ovens as follows:
W2700 Series Using MK271 Trim Kit, W3000 Series Using MK301 Trim Kit

Having never worked on a microwave, I ask what the conventional wisdom
is.
Q: Is it generally feasible to replace just the magnetron?
Q: Will similarly sized microwave ovens fit (22" widex13"tallx15" deep)?
Q: Is it generally best to stick within the same brand? (e.g.,
JMC1116AB)?

Looks like less than 2 feet to me. For something other than a fuse I'd
just replace it.

FWIW: Panasonic makes a really good microwave. "Invertor" 1300W. But I
think you need one that's insulated to protect it from the heat of the
oven.