Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommended repair or magnetron replacement of broken microwave(Jenn-Air M170B)

On Dec 17, 12:04*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
This Jenn-Air (model M170B) 1,350 Watt microwave just stopped heating:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11709330.jpg

I called Jenn-Air customer support who said there's no troubleshooting for
when it doesn't heat. They said the magnetron may need to be replaced:
*Jenn-Air 800-536-6247 Customer Care

A replacement microwave oven has to fit over the electric oven:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11709333.jpg

Interestingly, (since it was above the oven) the back sticker says:
*"May be built into a cabinet structure, but not for use adjacent
* to (with 2 feet of) any gas or electric range, cooktop or oven."
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11709332.jpg

But, that sticker also says:
*This microwave is approved for mounting directly over Jenn-Air
*wall ovens as follows:
*W2700 Series Using MK271 Trim Kit, W3000 Series Using MK301 Trim Kit

Having never worked on a microwave, I ask what the conventional wisdom is..
Q: Is it generally feasible to replace just the magnetron?

Technically, probably yes. But, there are some obvious
problems. One is, there are a lot of things that could cause
it to stop heating, only one of which is the magnetron.
Figuring out which it is, unless you have the suitable
skills, schematics, etc will require a tech, service fee, etc.

The second is that if it is the magnetron, what does a new
one cost? Could very likely be buckoo bucks. Generally,
given the cost of a new regular microwave, it's not worth
screwing around with. But since this is part of a built-in
JennAire, I feel your pain.

Q: Will similarly sized microwave ovens fit (22" widex13"tallx15" deep)?

I think that's unlikely. If it were that simple, could mix
and match other companies products into that JennAir
frame. For some odd reason, JennAir doesn't want you
to be able to do that.....

Q: Is it generally best to stick within the same brand? (e.g., JMC1116AB)?

I had an even older JennAir oven/microwave combo.
I did a mini makeover of the kitchen and got rid of it.
It was still working, but was outdated. So, I found a
Kitchenaid double oven on Ebay. It was a floor model,
but in perfect condition except for some sale stickers.
That unit retailed for $3000. I got it for $1200. It was
also a 30", which is a good thing, where the existing was 27".
I had to carefully scope out the cabinet situation where
it was going. And I had to cut apart the cabinet to make it
fit. Including taking the cabinet from above to a cabinet
shop and having them cut several inches off the bottom.
But it came out great. Looks 1000% better.

I also like the idea of double ovens a lot more than the
built-in microwaves. The look much nicer, are a selling
point for kitchens today. And from what I have seen,
the microwaves from the major kitchen appliance/oven
manufacturers cost $1000 and suck compared to the
$100 countertop model. They tend to be no larger,
more confusing controls, don't heat as well. If the $100
one goes, you just buy another.

Just some things to consider. Maybe you should buy
a countertop one and look for a great deal on a new
double oven.....