Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil furnace cycling Q?

On Dec 16, 11:21*pm, BobMCT wrote:
I have a Weil-McLain oil fired hot water furnace which is cleaned and
"tuned up" each year by our svc company.

This year it has started short cycling. *By that I mean that it will
start and run for about 15-45 seconds then stop. *A few miniutes later
it will do that again. *It doesn't sound like its failing and
stopping, just stopping normally.

I am assuming there is some part or component that may be causing this
but because I'm not a furnace guy I thought I would ask here before I
dig further.

All the boiler systems I've seen rely on a thermostat to
sense the water temp and keep it within the correct
range. So, one place to look would seem to be there.
Should be simple to put a tester on it when it's doing
what it's doing and find out if that is what is causing it.

You could also find a schematic for the boiler, could
be behind access cover on else online. With that
you can see what makes it fire, what can prevent it,
etc. It comes down to whether you have the necessary
skills for DIY. If not, then it probably doesn't matter too
much what anyone here can say if you're going to have
to call a service guy anyway.