Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neutral prong on Christmas light plug

On Dec 16, 8:11*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I bought a few sets of Philips mini Christmas lights this morning. As I was
putting them on the tree, I noticed something about the plugs and sockets..

1: The plug does not have a wide neutral prong.
2: The socket on the back of the plug will not accept a wide neutral plug
because there is no wide neutral slot.
3: The socket at the end of the string *will* accept a wide neutral plug
since it has a wide neutral slot.

I wonder why that it is. Yes, it allows me to string together lights from
other manufacturers that use a wide neutral plug, but there is no guarantee
that the neutral is actually connected to the neutral because the Philips
plug doesn't force the user to orientate the plug in any given manner.

Why not build the plug and socket at the start of the string with a wide
neutral prong and slot or build the socket at the end without one? Why mix
and match?

I thought by law that all new electrical stuff, unless double-
insulated, had to have polarized plugs. You may have bought some
really old lights.