Posted to alt.home.repair
croy croy is offline

Default Tool for Driving Ground Rod

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:37:46 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"croy" wrote in message
.. .
The last time I put in a ground rod at this house, it took
me a full day with a pipe-style post-pounder, and another
day to recover. The soil here is about an inch thich over
serious hardpan.

I've decided that I need another ground rod, closer to the
service entrance panel, to keep the GFCI breakers from
tripping needlessly.

Ground rods will not keep a GFCI from tripping needlessy. Either it is
defective or there is a good reason for it to trip.

Well, something is sure causing them to trip. There's
nothing plugged into the circuit, and still they trip. New
ones do the same. Some one in this group said that if the
connection to earth is too far from the panel, that can
happen.

If that's not the cause, then the only thing I can think of
is induction along the run near other wires.

--
croy