Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila Iskander Attila Iskander is offline

Default Embarrassing question about how to light a built-in propane fireplace

"Jim" wrote in message
Attila Iskander wrote:

Put a candle close enough to the burner to light it
when the gas starts coming out.

That's actually the problem.

The gas doesn't start coming out.

When I turn the square key and the on/off switch, I still smell nothing
(whereas, at the stove, I can smell the stink they put in the propane for
that purpose).

I think there may be a third switch, in addition to the key (which, as
noted, might be for a damper and not for the gas - but my wife tells me
the inspection guy said it was for the gas - but she never gets anything
right so I'm not sure myself. I wish I had been there as we wasted the
money for the inspection if we didn't learn from the guy.)

And that's is why I added the NEXT line
"The start fiddling around to figure out how to turn it on"
while you work your way back along the gas line.