P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4

Default Hot Collet on Porter Cable 7518

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
m...
I got a Porter Cable 7518 3 HP router a few months ago and mounted it
in my table. Awesome power and easy adjustment; I've been very
pleased. Today, after running it for about 30 minutes with a 3/8
round over bit on some cypress, the collet nut was too hot to hold.
The bit was a brand new Whiteside, and it never loaded the motor, so I
suspect the heat came up from the router bearing instead of down from
the bit. I've never had a collet nut burn me before. Anybody else
experience this? Should I be talking to Porter Cable about a
replacement?

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

Suspect either an overheating collet end bearing on the armature or a dull
bit heating up from excessive friction or simply too long an operating time
without a break.

--
© Jon Down ®
NEED BLADES or accessories?