Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default 24-7 Furnace Blower with Unheated Rooms

On 12/15/2012 9:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been running my furnace blower 24-7 for the past few years. I find
it keeps the house temperature more even, especially in the summer. Now
that winter is here, I'm wondering if it's still makes sense.

The boys have moved out and the girls are away at college most of the
winter. I have turned off the heat ducts to their rooms and keep the
doors closed.

We keep the living areas at about 68 and the master bedroom a bit cooler
by closing the heat ducts slightly.

I just went into the boys' room and it's 62. That got me wondering. The
cold air returns in the 2 unheated rooms are still open. Am I wasting
more energy than the evenness is worth by drawing the colder return air
from the unheated rooms, recirculating it with the 24-7 blower thus
causing the furnace to come on more often?

I wonder if I should build covers for the cold air returns in the 2
unheated bedrooms and block them or maybe even stop running the fan 24-7
since I'm only really concerned with the temperature on the first floor.

might be worth doing the math to see what running that blower is costing
you.