Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Running at half the voltage

"Phil Hobbs"
Phil Allison wrote:

** The simple fact is that halogen lamps do NOT have especially long
lives -
any more than non halogen lamps with the same filaments.

You're right about the halogen being there to keep the glass clean, but
not about the longer life. A 3400K mogul-base photoflood, like the ones
used to use in the 1970s, has a lifetime of about 25 hours.

** Really ?

What is that supposed to prove ? ?

Is that not a 120V quartz-halogen lamp ???

A 24V, 150W, 3300K QI ( 35mm slide) projector lamp has a rated life of
50
hours.

Such lamps have been in use common since the late 1960s.

No, it's apples-to-apples, as I said.

** Blatant lie.

The mogul-base floods were just like really big, ordinary incandescents.

** My properly detailed example proves you wrong.

Dickhead.

The high gas pressure inside quartz-halogen bulbs is what requires the
very thick quartz envelopes. High pressure slows down the diffusion of
tungsten vapour away from the hot spots, so that metal is selectively
redeposited near where it evaporated.

** ROTFL.

It is NOT in the SAME places and huge gaps open up.

See the pics on Wiki.

It isn't a perfect solution, because otherwise the bulb would never fail.
So what? The numbers are as I posted--about a 20x lifetime increase.

** Shame the QI lamp example I posted PROVES you wrong.

You're out of your depth on this one,

** Fraid you have already DROWNED !!

What a pathetic fake and damn liar.

**** off.