Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply?

On 12/15/2012 4:54 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:02:53 AM UTC-8, Swingman wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

, is it OK

to make dadoes in both sides of the center divider, as long as none of

them are in line with each other?

Perfectly OK to make dadoes in both sides of the center divider, even if
they are in line with each other, as long as you fill them with shelf.

I'd add a caveat, there ought to be LONG GRAIN extension of the central
ply through the thinned region.

OK, which ply is the "central" ply?

Most, if not all plywood has an odd number of plys by design,
specifically to mitigate warping.

It's possible to orient the plywood
so that thinning it leaves only/mainly one ply, with grain parallel to the shelf.
That's gonna break REAL easy.

Not so sure about that, especially if the dado fits what's going into it.

Maybe won't survive attempted assembly.

That's a pretty strong statement ... got anything to back it up with?

Literally thousands of this type joint under my belt and have never
seen, or heard of any instance, of that happening.

All that means nothing in the greater scheme of things, basically, I'll
continue to take my chances that, providing everything fits as spec'ed,
it ain't gonna happen.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net