Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply?

On 12/15/12 12:22 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:57:01 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

I think, as others have also suggested, the best bet is a bearing bit
with a plywood jig.
A strip of hardwood for the nearing to ride against insures a smoother
surface. This type of jig only needs to be dimensionally stable from the
time you clamp it down until the time your cut the dadoes. :-)

A problem I see with using a template (top bearing) bit, is that the
jig would have to be very thick - the shortest cutter length on Lee
Valley's template bits is 1 inch, so the jig would have to be at least
an inch thick, to allow a minimum depth of cut of 1/8".

There are lots of cheap flush trim/pattern buts that have a 1/2"-5/8"
cutting depth.
But yeah, if you want to use a bit you already own, you may just add
some thickness to the jig.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)