jo4hn

Default Planing Question

Carl Koop wrote:

I just acquired a pretty good load of white oak and it is fairly old an
pretty dirty. Not mud caked. particularly gritty or anything, but long time
storage dirty. My question is should I somehow clean the wood off prior to
planing so as to save some wear and tear on my planer blades or is it OK to
run it through as is. Thanks in advance.........

A neighbor gave me his old deck (20 or so redwood tubasixs and a few pt
fir). The boards are in varying condition but all were dirty and had
lotsa rough spots. I have been hitting them with a vacuum followed by a
light pass with a belt sander and finally the vacuum again. Oh and
check for metal first. Finally cut off the really rotten stuff. This
keeps the sand and crud out of the jointer and the planer.

Another friend had the nerve to call this treasure "fire wood". Humph.
Philistine.
mahalo,
jo4hn