Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Contact enhancers?

** Such products only work if you believe in them.
Like crystals and pyramids, etc.

The advertising and marketing DOES look like snake-oil, but there's
some real technology behind it. A small amount of residue contains
a liquid semiconductor, which is the active part of Stabilant-22 and
DeOxit Shield S. NATO stocks the stuff (NSN 6850-01-435-6479 is
the stock number) for aviation and other high-reliability electronics
applications.

There's no question they improve the contact. The issue is whether they
improve the sound. I find this unlikely. However, all the audio connections in
my system have been treated with Caig Red and Gold products (as appropriate).
Why shouldn't they be clean?

When I worked for RCA at NOAA, one of the computers had problems with the edge
contacts on its memory board. No amount of conventional cleaning helped, but
Cramolin Red fixed it -- for a while (several days).