Charlie Self

Default Planing Question

Carl Koop asks:

I just acquired a pretty good load of white oak and it is fairly old an
pretty dirty. Not mud caked. particularly gritty or anything, but long time
storage dirty. My question is should I somehow clean the wood off prior to
planing so as to save some wear and tear on my planer blades or is it OK to
run it through as is.

At the very least, brush it good, then run a shop vacuum over it carefully.

And have an extra set of planer blades on hand. You are about to get more
experience in changing them.

Charlie Self
"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers