Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another John Another John is offline

Default "Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030"

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo ,
Tim Streater escribió:

1) This is the US, not the UK

No ****, Sherlock. I do know where Delaware is.

I thought the article was worth flagging up if only for the dubious
claim that wind and solar could provide 99.9% of energy needs, since
power generation is a frequent subject of lively discussion in this
group.

No probs, MT: I perceived it exactly that, and I'm sure most people did.

My question, raised by Tim's point:

2) It spins the usual fallacy that "the wind is always blowing
somewhere", which may be true over a large area such as the US. Over
here, we just had three days with next to no wind.

However, we are an island nation, of a small size (with nowhere further
than 70m from the coast). Why the heck aren't we pursuing wave and/or
tidal power? THAT will definitely always be there

Incidentally there's no doubt in my mind that the reason we're seeing
these monstrosities rearing up all over the landscape has less to do
with the efficacy of wind power, and more to do with the largesse doled
out to the landowners/sponsors who commission them: money for nothing.

John